Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It happened. This means I'm fluent in Italian now right?

Now you're probably thinking I had my first dream in Italian which language-teacher-legend tells is the first sign that you are fluent in a language. Sadly, this is not the case. It will take years for this to happen I am guessing, but today something extraordinary happened, marking at least a small progression of my Italian since I arrived in Florence until now.

I understood a conversation that was not directed to me and between two Italians who had no idea I understood what they were saying. Unfortunately, the conversation consisted of one older woman telling the woman we were buying flowers from how strange we looked. Give me a break, I had just gotten off a fourteen hour bus back from Croatia. When we started laughing she asked us in Italian if we understood what she was saying. And we answered in Italian that yes we did, and that we spoke a little Italian. She laughed, told the florist she would come back, and wandered off. The florist apologized but I was more excited that I actually understood the conversation than offended that she had said I looked strange... because honestly, I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment