Friday, April 22, 2011

A Brief Thought on Why to Go Abroad

I have always called myself geographically challenged. And I do not wish to offend anyone by using that word, because I mean it seriously and about myself and how I used to imagine the world in my head. I'll prove it: I had the east coast down, and I knew where California and Texas were, and everything in the middle was just mushed together.

In Europe, I knew where the UK was, that France was on top of Spain, which was on next to Portugal (note: the original text of this blog read, "...Spain which was on top of Portugal", point made) and that Italy was somewhere east of all those, and that everything else was just mushed in between and above.

At this point I am seriously considering why I am about to publish this online...

A few months ago my most feared role on road trips was "navigator" but now it feels like I am always the one with the map and can always find my way. I had no idea what Prague was and now I have been there and would go back for an entire semester if I had the chance. I had no inkling of an urge to ever go to Croatia and I am dying to go back and be in the beautiful mountains again. In Florence, I can find my way home from anywhere and tell you the directions to the Arno, the Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo, San Lorenzo, the Uffizi, Academia, and Santa Croce.
       
I guess I am getting to the point where people keep asking me, should I go abroad? I just hope that this serves as a small example of just one of the ways you are forced to grow up by throwing yourself into another country for a semester. 

No comments:

Post a Comment