Monday, February 14, 2011

Fresh Mozzarella Balls are like Fish

Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella is a staple food here in Italy much as string cheese is in the United States. Okay, maybe that was a bad example…but for us cheese lovers, it may make sense. Thanks to our over processed, over packaged food economy at home, everything is stocked with preservatives, wrapped in plastic, and sold in bulk… like string cheese. However, in Italy you can go into a market and hand pick out just one fresh buffalo mozzarella ball that could range in size from that of a softball to that of a marble. The array of fresh mozzarella is displayed in colorful ceramic bowls that are filled with water to preserve and keep mozzarella moist.



Which brings me to my point. In the last two days our tiny fridge has begun to get a little stinky and today I found the culprit: Fresh Mozzarella. The anonymous roommate’s mozzarella’s expiration date is not for another two weeks but the problem was that you could barley find the mozzarella in the cloudy water. I have been keeping my mozzarella in tupperware and change the water in every time I use the mozz. Don’t worry anonymous roommate, I changed the water in yours for you. So the moral of the story is, if you want to keep your fresh mozzarella fresh, treat it like a fish and change its water every day every few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment